With goals and stuff.
I have stopped weighing every day, or even doing a weekly weigh-in. I hope to someday move away from weighing at all, I think? I’m not sure. For now I’m just doing it when I really want to. I have started taking pictures and measuring too. Since my goal is more of a recomp thing, I figure that pictures and measurements will help to see progress more than weighing. Last time I weighed I was down a pound in 13 days or something. And my measurements were down half an inch. I keep telling myself I want to go slow, and it is working. Working on my impatient brain is the real trick here. That’s what usually leads me to last chance eating/drinking before I start my next new plan! And then fail again :lol: SO do not want to do that again.
Also, still booze free. I wanted January to be over so badly, and now it is. I can count one month done instead of days, which seems easier because, less counting. I still don’t feel amazingly awesome and like life is perfect, but that may never happen. I am glad I’m not drinking.
I’ve been doing the Train to be Awesome workout, though I missed a couple of days last week due to working too freaking much and zero desire to do more than that! I am back at it this week though. Today I am doing workout #6, only 18 more to go.
I am still off and on with the Spanish. Actually I was doing pretty well logging into Dueling every day until I started working too much. I just need to start logging in again. But where I left off is so confusing! It is past tense stuff and I just don’t get it yet.
No crafting to speak of, well except in the kitchen. I’m always busy doing something in there! But I haven’t been knitting or sewing or anything. I’m thinking about it though, and that’s a step, right?
Posted by Lauren on February 4, 2015
I turned 38 today, this is getting way too close to 40! It’s really weird thinking that I am that old. I don’t feel that old!
We celebrated my birthday last night. I made this really good bolognese, these pepperoni garlic knots, and my daughter made a delicious coconut cake. I don’t think I have ever had coconut cake before last night, but it is definitely a winner!! It was all so yummy.
Pepperoni garlic knots
And that is really all there is to say about that.
I am late on the budget post, but honestly we went way over. Embarrassingly so. I will post it anyway, and try to recover in the next month – it may take that long!!
Posted by Lauren on January 25, 2015
Yesterday was my quit smoking for good anniversary! It’s been 10 years. Go me!
Posted by Lauren on January 13, 2015
We are 10 days into the new year, so I’m checking in with my goals and weighing in. On January 1st I weighed in at 152.2 and 37.5% body fat (yikes). Today I am 150.4 and 36%. So down 1.8 pounds and 1.5% body fat. Not bad! I have truly been eating what I want, and really trying to just eat when I’m hungry. Some days are better than others. I’ve been eating ice cream for dessert almost every day, although today it was 1 1/2 chocolate gluten free cupcakes made by M. Gluten free only because K has given up wheat and she wanted to make something for all of us. They were still very tasty! I made a big pot of chicken breast and white beans mid-week and I’ve eaten those 4 days in a row. Right now I almost don’t even care what I eat, just trying to do mostly balanced meals, though I’m kind of slacking on vegetables. So I am going to try and eat more veg. Need to make another big salad to have at the ready, and just cook a veg or two with dinner no matter what.
One problem I’ve had the last few days is eating too late in the afternoon, making me not really hungry at dinner time. I’ve eaten anyway, something small, but I’d like to not wait so long so that I can be hungry for and enjoy dinner more.
I also exercised yesterday for the first time in weeks! I got on the treadmill in the morning and warmed up with walking for 5 minutes and then alternated running at 5 mph for about 3 minutes with walking for 2 minutes. I finished with 5 minutes of walking for a total of 45 minutes. It felt good. So I will do it more often. As part of listening to my body, I’m just going to do what I feel like. I’m not going to do some set schedule or training program (unless I want to!), just going to do what feels good and not too overwhelming. Hopefully I will avoid burnout that way.
In other goals, I have been doing some knitting but not much else. I need to break out the sewing machine and do something with that. I have projects to finish and some to just share pictures of. I could be doing more, so I’m going to aim for just 10 minutes a day of some kind of crafting.
I haven’t been doing any Spanish lessons :( I just need to get going on it. I will get some done today, and try to reach my goal for points every day.
Last but not least, still not drinking. It’s only been 10 days but a couple of them have been really long ones :lol: Not that I’m counting down really, but only 355 more to go.
Posted by Lauren on January 11, 2015
I have been ‘wasting’ a lot of time on Pinterest and Food52 lately! It isn’t really wasting time, of course. I’ve been googling food blogs of all different kinds of cuisine, and have added quite a few yummy sounding and looking indian and colombian dishes on my Pinterest.
I also just re-discovered Food52. I had heard of it before but never really spent too much time on it. Yesterday I signed up and starting saving away recipes and articles. The Dinner vs. Child column is pretty funny to read, and this one on kid’s lunches is pretty interesting, although I’m pretty sure my kid would never give up her ham sandwiches and eat like that. It all inspires me to make our meals a little more interesting and to get more variety in, try new things. Even if the rest of the people in the house aren’t adventurous I will do it for me :D
I’m excited to try these 4 hour baguettes! And celery soup with almost a whole stick of butter :lol
Some more finds that I really want to make:
Colombian roasted chicken legs
Swiss chard cobbler with cornmeal biscuits
Buffalo ranch popcorn
I even saved a recipe for Chicken Liver Pate. It was late ;)
If I end up making any of these I’ll be sure to share the results!
Posted by Lauren on January 9, 2015
Just trying to catch up with some knits that never quite made it to the blog, or even Ravelry!
This one is a slouchy beret made from my own handspun. More details on Ravelry, made way back in 2011.
This one is the Hedgehog hat from Knitty.com, made from Noro Kureyon in a really different colorway. It turned out to be quite a hat! I made this one in December 2013.
The last one is another from my handspun yarn, the pattern is Sugar Maple Hat. Apparently I finished knitting it in just one day! I started it on the 23rd and finished it Christmas Eve. I really like it.
There you go!
Posted by Lauren on January 6, 2015
Happy New Year! I know lots of people think resolutions are stupid and pointless, but when I really decide I’m going to do something, I follow through. My main resolution is to not drink alcohol this year. And I know I’m going to follow through! I had a last blast on NYE and so I felt like total garbage yesterday. I don’t want to feel like that ever again! I think this long break will be just what I need.
I’m also going to try and lose weight, story of my life I guess. I am just going to get back to running and lifting, and the plan is to train for 2 half marathons this year. Both will take 3 months to train for. Maybe I will tack one more on there, we’ll see. I had many thoughts of going on a juice fast again just to lose the weight quickly, but that hasn’t worked long term, and I want to do something different. I’ve decided that this year I am just going to try intuitive eating. No counting calories, no other plan, just going to try and eat what I like, when I’m hungry and not too much. We’ll see where it gets me. So I guess I’m publicly committing to not count any calories or do any crazy things like juice fast this year. I’m just going to try to chill out and be and eat normal :lol: Even if I only lost 1/2 a pound a week, I could still be down 26 pounds in a year. That is probably going to be more realistic and sustainable, since it probably won’t involve huge deficits. I think that makes me feel restricted, even if I am eating things I like. There probably is something to eating to your activity level, so you don’t end up burning out and feeling worn down. Duh!
Anyway I hope to blog more about my journey and be a bit more interesting, helpful, whatever. Share more recipes and knitting and whatever else :)
Posted by Lauren on January 2, 2015
I know I’ve been absent for a couple of weeks. I hurt my foot really stupidly, I was on a footstool putting things up high in a closet and I kind of crashed down on my other foot while half missing the step. Hard to explain – and really stupid! I haven’t wanted to run on it for fear of hurting it more, so no running. I have no excuse really for not keeping up with lifting, other than just enjoying the holiday season – a little too much. Probably not the best idea, but I am just kind of planning what I’m going to do for next year. There isn’t that much of this one left now anyway.
The biggest thing is that I am just going to completely give up alcohol in 2015. I know I ‘tried’ this before, but I am ready to do it and so it’s on. I’m just over it and I don’t need it, so I’m kicking it to the curb for the whole year. I’m excited!
I keep thinking about marathon training but I just don’t think that it is a good idea for me – yet. I’m just going to train for a couple of half marathons this year, but really put a lot into them and hopefully improve my running speed. Then in 2016 I will think really seriously about the marathon. I want to do one before I’m 40! Because it sounds cool ;) And I still need some redemption. I will also add strength in 2-3 times a week. Because I don’t want to get injured!
So I still am not where I would like to be in regards to my body and weight. Maybe I should just give it up after all of these years of really getting nowhere, but I just can’t. I want to focus on it this year but in a sane and simple way. I am just going to do my best to eat intuitively, really only eat when I’m hungry and eat what I need. I don’t want to do any type of binging or restricting. I figure if I just do what I do, my body will do what it does. I want to lose weight, and I think if I give up booze and keep working out all year then it is bound to happen?! I have never tried something so simple, I’m always doing so many crazy things and going up and down. I have never just consistently kept it up. So hopefully with a year of really being consistent with working out and eating I’ll see some good changes. How am I going to really make this work? I’m going to blog more. It will be a lot more food and workout centered but I think it will help me keep accountable and on the path I want to be on. So I guess that is what most of my blog will be. I’m determined to make this year one I am completely proud of in every way, and lose some weight in a sane and hopefully sustainable way too.
I also want to get back into crafting regularly. I have tons of supplies downstairs and they just never come out. It makes me sad :( I’m going to try and make more gifts for people this year to use up my stash and I will give away anything I don’t think that I am ever really going to use. I will just make a commitment to do something, even if it is only 10 minutes a day.
I also want to finally learn Spanish! I’ve been doing some Duolingo but not being super consistent. I could do a lot better with it. I want to do some every day, a couple of times a day. And check out some other books that I think will help me learn more too. I have plenty of tools I just need to use them!
So there are my main goals for 2015. I know it is totally cliche to make New Year’s Resolutions but I have to try.
Posted by Lauren on December 22, 2014
I’m going to attempt to try and make this a weekly thing, hence the #1. This was a pretty good week as far as workouts go. I tried to hit it a little harder than I did the previous week. I was feeling a little run down/overworked so I was taking it easy. I think it helped, so this week it was back at it!
- Monday – I always warm up on the elliptical for 10 minutes and then do my weights. I did deadlifts, overhead DB press, and Pulldowns. I did 5 sets, 2 were warmup sets, and my highest weights for these were 70#, 20#, and 90#. Afterwards I did a finisher from Jen Sinkler’s Lift Weights Faster called The Over Under. It was lots of KB swings and squats. I finished with 5 more minutes on the elliptical to make an hour workout.
- Tuesday – I always do the Standard Warmup before I run. My run was 47 minutes and 4.7 miles for a 9:40 pace. Not quite an hour but good enough ;)
- Wednesday – Squats, DB chest press, and DB row. I did 2 warmup sets and 3 working sets with 80#, 30#, and 35#. I wanted to do harder weights but it honestly is just not happening yet. I will keep working at it until these get easier! After this one I did a 2 mile run in 21:55 for a 10:57 pace. I hate the treadmill :/
- Thursday – A 5 mile run in 50 minutes for a 10:00 pace. This one was tough because I woke up pretty hungry, but didn’t eat. I should have! I was uncomfortable the entire run. Live and learn.
- Friday – Deadlifts, overhead press, and pulldowns, same weights as above. I finished with a workout called Sweet Cheeks. Lots of glute work, it was tough!
- Saturday – REST!!
- Sunday – Long run. I did 8.5 miles in 1:23:00 for a 9:45 pace! I wasn’t expecting this to go so well as far as timing but I’m happy about it! I wore new shoes that are more cushy than I’m used to, and getting used to tying new shoes just right is always a pain in the ass. I stopped so many times to re-tie :lol: Anyway I tried to go at an ‘easy’ pace until the last mile or so and then I picked up the pace a lot for a hard finish. I don’t feel too beat up right now and that’s always a plus! I’ll probably feel the effects more tomorrow :)
I hope to get in more stretching this week or even some actual yoga. I feel like I could really use.
Posted by Lauren on December 7, 2014
It’s December already! The time has seriously just flown by this year! I didn’t do fantastically amazing with my goals, but I tried and I did do well with some things. Here we go:
- Exercise – this one I did great with! I have stuck to my plan of 3 days weights and 3 days running, and last week I even added 1 more day of running on top of weights. I think I maybe only missed one day of working out! Go me :D
- Meal planning – We have done this every week. Whether or not we stick to it 100% is another story. But it has helped in cutting down unnecessary purchases and in using up stuff we already have.
- Not eat out – We didn’t at all! The only place we went was TCBY and I don’t think that really counts ;) But I’m also kind of over TCBY now so that’s good.
- Lose 5 pounds – Not quite, but close! As of this morning I’m down 4.4 pounds from November 1st. I’m losing inches too, I’m down 2.25 inches since October 6. My body fat (according to my scale) has also gone down 2.5% this month.
- Crafting – I did work on the shawl I’m knitting but still not done! I ran out of yarn, so I got more this past week and I’m going to get back at it again. I did now sew at all.
- Money – I am actually getting behind a little and decided to skip my car payment this month and I didn’t put any money into my HSA. I’m just not going to worry about it until later this month and see how things are. If anything, I will just get back at it in January. Not really a huge deal right now, so I’m not sweating it.
- Boozing – I also did not drink any alcohol in the month of November. Well, last night I had half a glass of beer that didn’t fit into a bottle. I made a small batch of beer for a friend a couple of weeks ago and it was time to bottle it yesterday. I’m not even counting that since it was such a small amount. And it wasn’t really ‘boozing’ at all!
I have also been working on the habit of doing Duolingo every day. I want to learn Spanish but never do anything about it. So this is at least a step. Instead of surfing the web in the evening I have been turning on my app. I’m learning a lot! Retention is another story :lol:
Posted by Lauren on December 1, 2014