With health and stuff. I am still back and forth on the weighing thing, but for now I guess I don’t really care if I do or don’t. I am trying to not weigh most days. But I am going to for sure check in at the beginning of the month, with weight and measurements and pictures. So, since December 1st I am down 2.75 inches, and since January 1st I am down 4.6 pounds. That averages out to be .5 pounds per week. Pretty much what I was planning on. Is it painfully slow sometimes? Yes! But, I am confident that this time around I am going to be able to keep it off.
Workouts have been good. Today I finished workout #15 of 24 from Train to be Awesome. Only 9 more left! I could probably keep going with the beginner program, but I really just want to move on to something different, not that I’m bored or not liking it. I do like it. The workouts are taking me about 1 hour and 10 minutes, including warm up time. I take as much rest as I need and do 1-2 warm up sets. Today I was able to squat with 90# on the machine, and I did quite a few pull-ups with one knee in the resistance band. I’ve also been trying barbell hip thrusts, not much on the bar, only 30#. I tried that today and I think I can work my way up pretty quickly.
I missed being on a running schedule so I’m going to try a 10k training program. It goes for 10 weeks and has minimal mileage so I don’t think it will interfere with strength training. I’ll just do the runs on my off days from weights. I do my first 2 mile run tomorrow morning. We are supposed to get a big storm tonight so I hope it doesn’t ice all over!
So yeah, losing a little fat, gaining a little muscle (hopefully :lol), all while doing my best to chill out and eating exactly what I want to. Including ice cream, almost daily. Also chocolate, pizza, bread every day – and veggies, fruit, fish, nuts. Nothing is off limits, I’m just eating when I’m hungry and trying not to eat too much. Eating what I really want keeps me from feeling deprived or like I need to rebel, so I don’t end up overdosing on m&ms. Novel idea.
Posted by Lauren on March 2, 2015
With goals and stuff.
I have stopped weighing every day, or even doing a weekly weigh-in. I hope to someday move away from weighing at all, I think? I’m not sure. For now I’m just doing it when I really want to. I have started taking pictures and measuring too. Since my goal is more of a recomp thing, I figure that pictures and measurements will help to see progress more than weighing. Last time I weighed I was down a pound in 13 days or something. And my measurements were down half an inch. I keep telling myself I want to go slow, and it is working. Working on my impatient brain is the real trick here. That’s what usually leads me to last chance eating/drinking before I start my next new plan! And then fail again :lol: SO do not want to do that again.
Also, still booze free. I wanted January to be over so badly, and now it is. I can count one month done instead of days, which seems easier because, less counting. I still don’t feel amazingly awesome and like life is perfect, but that may never happen. I am glad I’m not drinking.
I’ve been doing the Train to be Awesome workout, though I missed a couple of days last week due to working too freaking much and zero desire to do more than that! I am back at it this week though. Today I am doing workout #6, only 18 more to go.
I am still off and on with the Spanish. Actually I was doing pretty well logging into Dueling every day until I started working too much. I just need to start logging in again. But where I left off is so confusing! It is past tense stuff and I just don’t get it yet.
No crafting to speak of, well except in the kitchen. I’m always busy doing something in there! But I haven’t been knitting or sewing or anything. I’m thinking about it though, and that’s a step, right?
Posted by Lauren on February 4, 2015
I know I said last week was week 2, it just seemed weird since the first one was only counting 3 days, so this is week 2. Again. There will be no more week 2s! We spent $90.78. We were trying to keep it down to redeem the fact that we went way over last week. It didn’t quite work, but we tried! And we did do okay. What we bought:
- Organic bananas $2.15
- Bell peppers $3.38
- Cucumbers $1.00
- Garlic $1.28
- Ginger $1.30
- Green onions $.79
- Thyme $2.99
- Organic kale $1.50
- Organic romaine $1.79
- Limes $1.00
- Onion $5.4
- 5# bag russet potatoes $1.18
- Radishes $.99
- Tomatoes $2.64
- 2 1/2 dozen eggs $3.99
- Baking soda $.99
- Cinnamon sticks (Costco) $6.39
- Sugar (Costco) $9.99
- Chow mein noodles $1.69
- Molasses $3.69
- Pecans (Costco) $12.99
- Fresh apple juice 1/2 gallon $7.99
- Tortillas $4.89
- Peanut butter $3.79
- Cotija cheese $389
- Sour cream $3.19
- Guacamole $4.67
We made some really yummy things this week too! We tried the Lemon Glazed Turkey Meatballs and they were awesome!
I also did the crispy beef, which was just ok though, I put too much lime in the marinade. We also tried the Colombian roast chicken legs which we all liked, but would cook a bit differently if we did it again. I ended up marinating them all day and then cooking at 400 for about an hour, that was too long! They were still tasty. Last night we had some Mahi Mahi tacos that were pretty great too.
Truthfully, we are needing to go to the store! But I want to wait until tomorrow so we don’t add anymore to this week’s spending. Here’s what I’m kind of planning for next week:
Posole-ish soup with potatoes
BBQ chicken or pork to use up some bbq sauce I bought
Beefy macaroni and cheese
Black bean and sweet potato tacos
Probably more mahi mahi and some cheesy broccoli quinoa
An onion and broccoli or kale quiche
And for my birthday I am going to make this Spaghetti Bolognese!
Posted by Lauren on January 17, 2015
Yesterday was my quit smoking for good anniversary! It’s been 10 years. Go me!
Posted by Lauren on January 13, 2015
We are 10 days into the new year, so I’m checking in with my goals and weighing in. On January 1st I weighed in at 152.2 and 37.5% body fat (yikes). Today I am 150.4 and 36%. So down 1.8 pounds and 1.5% body fat. Not bad! I have truly been eating what I want, and really trying to just eat when I’m hungry. Some days are better than others. I’ve been eating ice cream for dessert almost every day, although today it was 1 1/2 chocolate gluten free cupcakes made by M. Gluten free only because K has given up wheat and she wanted to make something for all of us. They were still very tasty! I made a big pot of chicken breast and white beans mid-week and I’ve eaten those 4 days in a row. Right now I almost don’t even care what I eat, just trying to do mostly balanced meals, though I’m kind of slacking on vegetables. So I am going to try and eat more veg. Need to make another big salad to have at the ready, and just cook a veg or two with dinner no matter what.
One problem I’ve had the last few days is eating too late in the afternoon, making me not really hungry at dinner time. I’ve eaten anyway, something small, but I’d like to not wait so long so that I can be hungry for and enjoy dinner more.
I also exercised yesterday for the first time in weeks! I got on the treadmill in the morning and warmed up with walking for 5 minutes and then alternated running at 5 mph for about 3 minutes with walking for 2 minutes. I finished with 5 minutes of walking for a total of 45 minutes. It felt good. So I will do it more often. As part of listening to my body, I’m just going to do what I feel like. I’m not going to do some set schedule or training program (unless I want to!), just going to do what feels good and not too overwhelming. Hopefully I will avoid burnout that way.
In other goals, I have been doing some knitting but not much else. I need to break out the sewing machine and do something with that. I have projects to finish and some to just share pictures of. I could be doing more, so I’m going to aim for just 10 minutes a day of some kind of crafting.
I haven’t been doing any Spanish lessons :( I just need to get going on it. I will get some done today, and try to reach my goal for points every day.
Last but not least, still not drinking. It’s only been 10 days but a couple of them have been really long ones :lol: Not that I’m counting down really, but only 355 more to go.
Posted by Lauren on January 11, 2015
Happy New Year! I know lots of people think resolutions are stupid and pointless, but when I really decide I’m going to do something, I follow through. My main resolution is to not drink alcohol this year. And I know I’m going to follow through! I had a last blast on NYE and so I felt like total garbage yesterday. I don’t want to feel like that ever again! I think this long break will be just what I need.
I’m also going to try and lose weight, story of my life I guess. I am just going to get back to running and lifting, and the plan is to train for 2 half marathons this year. Both will take 3 months to train for. Maybe I will tack one more on there, we’ll see. I had many thoughts of going on a juice fast again just to lose the weight quickly, but that hasn’t worked long term, and I want to do something different. I’ve decided that this year I am just going to try intuitive eating. No counting calories, no other plan, just going to try and eat what I like, when I’m hungry and not too much. We’ll see where it gets me. So I guess I’m publicly committing to not count any calories or do any crazy things like juice fast this year. I’m just going to try to chill out and be and eat normal :lol: Even if I only lost 1/2 a pound a week, I could still be down 26 pounds in a year. That is probably going to be more realistic and sustainable, since it probably won’t involve huge deficits. I think that makes me feel restricted, even if I am eating things I like. There probably is something to eating to your activity level, so you don’t end up burning out and feeling worn down. Duh!
Anyway I hope to blog more about my journey and be a bit more interesting, helpful, whatever. Share more recipes and knitting and whatever else :)
Posted by Lauren on January 2, 2015
I’m going to attempt to try and make this a weekly thing, hence the #1. This was a pretty good week as far as workouts go. I tried to hit it a little harder than I did the previous week. I was feeling a little run down/overworked so I was taking it easy. I think it helped, so this week it was back at it!
- Monday – I always warm up on the elliptical for 10 minutes and then do my weights. I did deadlifts, overhead DB press, and Pulldowns. I did 5 sets, 2 were warmup sets, and my highest weights for these were 70#, 20#, and 90#. Afterwards I did a finisher from Jen Sinkler’s Lift Weights Faster called The Over Under. It was lots of KB swings and squats. I finished with 5 more minutes on the elliptical to make an hour workout.
- Tuesday – I always do the Standard Warmup before I run. My run was 47 minutes and 4.7 miles for a 9:40 pace. Not quite an hour but good enough ;)
- Wednesday – Squats, DB chest press, and DB row. I did 2 warmup sets and 3 working sets with 80#, 30#, and 35#. I wanted to do harder weights but it honestly is just not happening yet. I will keep working at it until these get easier! After this one I did a 2 mile run in 21:55 for a 10:57 pace. I hate the treadmill :/
- Thursday – A 5 mile run in 50 minutes for a 10:00 pace. This one was tough because I woke up pretty hungry, but didn’t eat. I should have! I was uncomfortable the entire run. Live and learn.
- Friday – Deadlifts, overhead press, and pulldowns, same weights as above. I finished with a workout called Sweet Cheeks. Lots of glute work, it was tough!
- Saturday – REST!!
- Sunday – Long run. I did 8.5 miles in 1:23:00 for a 9:45 pace! I wasn’t expecting this to go so well as far as timing but I’m happy about it! I wore new shoes that are more cushy than I’m used to, and getting used to tying new shoes just right is always a pain in the ass. I stopped so many times to re-tie :lol: Anyway I tried to go at an ‘easy’ pace until the last mile or so and then I picked up the pace a lot for a hard finish. I don’t feel too beat up right now and that’s always a plus! I’ll probably feel the effects more tomorrow :)
I hope to get in more stretching this week or even some actual yoga. I feel like I could really use.
Posted by Lauren on December 7, 2014
It’s December already! The time has seriously just flown by this year! I didn’t do fantastically amazing with my goals, but I tried and I did do well with some things. Here we go:
- Exercise – this one I did great with! I have stuck to my plan of 3 days weights and 3 days running, and last week I even added 1 more day of running on top of weights. I think I maybe only missed one day of working out! Go me :D
- Meal planning – We have done this every week. Whether or not we stick to it 100% is another story. But it has helped in cutting down unnecessary purchases and in using up stuff we already have.
- Not eat out – We didn’t at all! The only place we went was TCBY and I don’t think that really counts ;) But I’m also kind of over TCBY now so that’s good.
- Lose 5 pounds – Not quite, but close! As of this morning I’m down 4.4 pounds from November 1st. I’m losing inches too, I’m down 2.25 inches since October 6. My body fat (according to my scale) has also gone down 2.5% this month.
- Crafting – I did work on the shawl I’m knitting but still not done! I ran out of yarn, so I got more this past week and I’m going to get back at it again. I did now sew at all.
- Money – I am actually getting behind a little and decided to skip my car payment this month and I didn’t put any money into my HSA. I’m just not going to worry about it until later this month and see how things are. If anything, I will just get back at it in January. Not really a huge deal right now, so I’m not sweating it.
- Boozing – I also did not drink any alcohol in the month of November. Well, last night I had half a glass of beer that didn’t fit into a bottle. I made a small batch of beer for a friend a couple of weeks ago and it was time to bottle it yesterday. I’m not even counting that since it was such a small amount. And it wasn’t really ‘boozing’ at all!
I have also been working on the habit of doing Duolingo every day. I want to learn Spanish but never do anything about it. So this is at least a step. Instead of surfing the web in the evening I have been turning on my app. I’m learning a lot! Retention is another story :lol:
Posted by Lauren on December 1, 2014
I ran 8 miles this morning. I didn’t really plan it out, just went where I wanted to go and in the end it was 8 miles in 1:21:51. Not too shabby! I felt like I was going at a pretty good pace, not too hard to keep it up until around the last mile. That’s when I started getting tired and my started to hurt. It was chilly, 40 degrees, but I made it through without any rain as it is supposed to do today. I hardly saw anyone else on the route I picked until I got on the parkway for the second half, and even then there was a only a handful of people out walking and a couple of other runners. I like it when there aren’t many cars or people and I can just zone out and listen to my music.
After I got back and did some strength moves and stretching I made my favorite oats as of late. I guess they are called custard oats because you stir in an egg toward the end of cooking. I thought it would be weird the first time I heard about them but decided to try it anyway. Here’s how I have been doing mine:
- 1/2 cups dry oats
- 1 cup So Delicious coconut milk
- 1 T hemp hearts (just because I have them)
- 1/3 cup canned apple slices (I’ve also used pumpkin puree, you could use whatever you want really or nothing at all)
- 1 egg, beaten
I put the first three ingredients in a pan and bring it to a boil on medium, then on low to simmer for 10 minutes. Then I whisk in the egg as slowly as possible off the heat so I don’t make scrambled eggs in my oats. Back on medium low heat for 3-4 minutes and then they are good to go! I usually add peanut butter and some kind of sweetener, today I did raspberry pancake syrup. I really like the fluffier texture and the egg adds a little more protein and doesn’t taste like egg at all. I have been having these almost every day this week! They keep me full until lunchtime and they are tasty :)
I know it looks like they are drowning in syrup but it isn’t really that much.
It’s the last day of the month so I need to update on my goals tomorrow!
Posted by Lauren on November 30, 2014
I was looking at my goals I set for November this morning and so far I am behind! Well, not on everything. I have been doing great with working out! I think I have maybe only missed one workout this month. Otherwise I have been lifting weights every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and running on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. I have been making each workout take an hour. I take Saturday completely off. In fact, this past Saturday I took a nap after work and didn’t even hit 10,000 steps on my Fitbit. I also had to take a nap on Sunday after my run. I’m thinking I might be on the verge of overdoing it, so this week I’m going to scale it back, sort of. Weights will be not so heavy, and I won’t do ‘finishers’ after every workout, maybe just one. I will really try to run ‘easy’ instead of trying for time.
I’ve also been counting calories again this month, which is actually working out pretty well. I track either beforehand for the whole day if I know what I’m going to eat, or I just do it at the end of the day. I’m getting a pretty good feel for how my meals should be. I am doing my best to just eat 3 meals a day at regular-ish times. I’ve been averaging around 1900 per day. And I am losing a little weight. Just under 3 pounds so far this month. My scale also says I’m down 2% in body fat?! I know this isn’t completely accurate but I’ll take it all :lol: I’m going to eat a bit more this week in addition to lower volume workouts, it’ll be interesting to see what happens.
I have been working on the shawl I’m knitting and I’m nearing the end. Except I will run out of yarn. I can’t decide if I will go get another skein of the same kind or just try and substitute a color that is close. I’ll probably end up getting another, except I don’t even know what color way it is I’m using at this point :lol: Hopefully the yarn store still has it! I’ll try to share a WIP pic before it is done.
I’ll update on the rest after the month is over. So far so good!
Posted by Lauren on November 24, 2014