I was perusing my old blog posts and came across this photo. M was only 3 1/2 back then. She is so adorable, and it just gets even better with all of the hand knit socks I kind of miss my blue bedroom too!
I haven’t done much knitting in the past, oh, 4 years or so? But I caught the bug today. I managed to finish two hats today! They are both gifts for friends. The stripey number is the Turn a Square pattern, and the pink one is just a basic hat. I love them both! I’m calling the pink one the Cotton Candy Beanie.
I hope that the bug stays and I keep on knitting. It was quite enjoyable.
I took the weekend off from tracking because I was having too much fun. We had friends over on Saturday night for Monopoly and Cribbage, and I had a few too many gin and tonics. Oops! I made sure to workout in the morning so at least I wasn’t skipping anything on Sunday. Although today I did not work out either and I should have Oh well. I will try and get it done tomorrow. M has been sick for a few days too, which doesn’t make things any easier. I hope the kid gets better soon! And that no one else comes down with it.
Posted by Lauren on December 16, 2013
How did I do on my January Goals?! Here’s what I wrote:
- Finish M’s curtains. These have been ‘in progress’ for a long time, over a year! I actually only have to add binding to it and then it will pretty much be done. That and figure out just how I am going to hang a huge quilt on the window.
- Finish hemming all of the curtains I made when we moved in this house, and start on the ones for the bathroom.
- Start knitting Different Lines. I bought the pattern last week and I really like it and want to be knitting again.
- Do weights 3 times a week and run 4 times a week.
- Hopefully lose 5 pounds?!
- Make this roasted corn pudding in acorn squash.
- Get a weaving book from the library and set up my loom for a project.
- Read a non-diet book.
- Have more fun
Well I did not, once again, finish the curtains. I didn’t even work on them?! Oh well. I really just need to sit down and get it done one of these weekends.
I didn’t work on any of the other curtains either. Fail!!
I did start and finish Different Lines! I need to sew in the ends and block, and then get a picture of it.
I didn’t end up doing weights 3 times a week, and the running didn’t happen because of all of the pollution in the air here.
I didn’t lose 5 pounds. From my weight as February 2nd, I only lost .6 pounds. I was doing better before we went to Vegas, but oh well.
I made the corn pudding in acorn squash. It was good!
I didn’t get a weaving book and set up my loom.
I did read a non-diet book – The Happiness Project! I loved it and want to re-read it again and do my own happiness project. Maybe I will re-read it this month. I also read most of another book I picked up at the library on sale that looked interesting, These People are Us. It is a bunch of little stories about different people, very quirky and weird and I like it. I hope to finish it this month.
I would say that I had more fun. We went to Vegas, always fun! We had friends over for a game night that was a blast. We played lots of games just by ourselves. I tried to be happier and just generally enjoy myself more. Success!
I want to make some goals for February but I need some time to sit and think about it. I will post it when I come up with some, even though there will definitely be some repeats
Got any goals for February?!
Posted by Lauren on February 7, 2013
I have finished the stripe sections! All done with the backstabber colorway and ready to finish the last section. I’ve been knitting on this here and there and in the evenings, and I’m shocked at how far I’ve gotten so quickly. I guess I still got it
I know it’s a really bad pic, thats what I get early in the morning with the iPad!
Posted by Lauren on January 9, 2013
I was looking through my stash on Ravelry last night and realized I have a lot of single skeins of yarn. Too many! So I think I should make an effort to use them up. Since I tend to lose my focus and drive in the recent past when knitting, I think this will be an achievable goal for me – one skein wonders I’ve been queueing away, and I have decided to start first with the Feather Duster Shawl. I’ll be using a skein of Lost Valley Alpaca Ranch. I think I picked this up way back when when we went to the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival.
A few more I picked:
I’ll let you know how it goes!
Posted by Lauren on January 5, 2013
Well I have already completed two of my goals for January! I started the Different Lines pattern on the New Year’s Day. It would be a bit farther along if I hadn’t cast on with the wrong color at first. Oops. But now it is going smoothly and even though mine may be a little smaller since I’m getting 6 stitches per inch instead of 5, I think it will still turn out great. I’m using Socks That Rock lightweight in colorways Backstabber and Spinel. I wasn’t sure about the colors together at first, but they are growing on me.
I also made the Roasted Corn Pudding in Acorn Squash recipe. It was pretty good! I roasted some squash for soup while roasting the acorn squash, and when it was done I turned off the oven. So when I put the acorn back in I could not figure out why the pudding wasn’t setting up. I was about to give up when I noticed I hadn’t turned the oven back on!! Duh. Finally, 30 minutes later we had dinner. My squash wasn’t big enough to put all of the pudding in so I just buttered a dish and cooked the rest on the side. I liked it with extra, so I think this would be a great recipe for a squash that has a bigger cavity.
I have decided I want to try at least 1 new recipe per week this month. So far I have already done 2! This morning I saw a friend’s pin for baked oatmeal and it sounded really good. It’s something I’ve been wanting to try since K will need a replacement for his instant oatmeal he’s been having at work. I found this recipe for Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal and decided to try it out. It worked great! I had a little too much oatmeal mixture for my pan though, so I put the extra in another smaller dish. I’m excited about trying other flavors out!
I will probably have another two new recipes made by the end of the week since I’m making whole wheat roti for dinner tonight, and then going to try some asian meatballs tomorrow.
Posted by Lauren on January 4, 2013
I just thought I’d share what I am up to lately.
Knitting. I’ve been knitting! I am working on an OpArt blanket. Mine will be larger since I have and plan to use 20 skeins of Knit picks Shine worsted. I think I’ve used about half the yarn so far? I will share a picture soon. I always forget how nice it is to just sit and knit, and it is especially nice to be knitting a blanket when it is cold out. Cozy.
Walking. The last few days I’ve gotten up early, had coffee, and then went downstairs to walk on the treadmill while watching TV. I’m only doing a half hour in the morning but I like to mess with the incline so I get a good workout. I also got outside today for an hour on the parkway. It was so nice! No music or anything, just me and my thoughts and the sort of fresh air. We are having some air quality issues here My goal is to walk twice most days, once in the morning and then in the afternoon with M.
Cooking. I was getting lazy there but it is all turned around now. I’ve been making lots of good stuff and tomorrow I have plans to make carnitas! And pumpkin donuts. And peanut butter cookies. And homemade spicy and breakfast sausages. And my posole-ish soup. I guess I’m on a pork kick Speaking of soup, I can’t get enough of it! I’ve been using up the squash in storage to make a pot of soup every week. M won’t eat squash whole but when I blend it up in soup she really likes it. Go figure!
On the weight loss front. I have decided to give up on weight loss – sort of. I’m not really giving up because I do know that I have fat to lose, but I’m going to change the way I think about it. I bought an ebook called Lift Like a Girl and read my way through it all. I don’t know why but it just clicked with me and things seem a lot more hopeful for me now. I am going to focus on getting strong first and foremost. So for my activity I’ll be lifting 3 times a week and my cardio will be walking or doing the recumbent bike. I’d love to be running but it just isn’t in the cards right now. As far as nutrition, I am going to keep it very simple. I’m going to get more in tune with my body. I’m going to eat real food most of the time putting a focus on protein, eat when I’m hungry, and not worry about it! It has been working great for me so far, mentally anyway. I am using my Zero scale so we’ll see how I progress as I go. I will tweak things as I need to to get the results I want. But honestly I don’t care how long it takes me. I’ve lost 20 this year and gained probably 10 back – so ultimately I have lost a pound per month. So instead of going nuts and working hard for a few months and then totally slacking, I’m just going to make it as easy as possible for me to maintain changes and new habits. If I only lose a couple of pounds a month, so be it. And wherever I end up I will be fine with. If I focus on getting strong and staying strong, and ultimately getting to where I love how I look, there is a lot more to shoot for than just losing weight. There is also no end point this way as opposed to losing weight. I will never be done because this is my life! Anyway, I’m hopeful, excited, motivated, and feeling happier than I’ve been in the past month and it feels really good. I’d better go knock on some wood
Posted by Lauren on November 15, 2012
My goals for March will seem like a bit of a repeat. Oh well! It is what I need to do right now. I’m not moving mountains, but I am feeling really good about what I’m doing and have been able to accomplish, as well as what I have been able to avoid doing. You have to get healthy to lose weight, and not drinking and eating a bunch of crap food has really helped! I may only be down 7 pounds right now, but that is better than being up 7!
Here’s what I want to do in March:
- Yes, lose another 5 pounds. Actually I’d be happy to get to my second 5 pounds lost mark (3 pounds away). But still aiming for 5. I’m hoping my body is starting to get used to the changes and will start to let go of some weight again.
- Exercise every day. I mean every day. I missed maybe 2 days last month, so I know I can do every single day. Don’t worry, I’m not going all out every day, even walking counts. I just want to do something every day.
- Walk outside every day. It probably won’t actually happen every day, but as long as I keep the thought in my mind it motivates me to do it most of the time. It is good for my mind to get outside!!!
- Knit every day on the afghan, or until it is done. I have 6 skeins of yarn left and I may or may not use it all. Surely if I focus I can knit up 6 skeins of yarn in a month. I just want this thing to be done!
- Spin every day. I finished up a bobbin and now I’m ready to move to a different color which is exciting! I hope to at least get this color done and one more bobbin filled.
- Keep up my weights 3 times a week, and add kettlebells in once a week. I did the kettlebells a little the other day and it didn’t kill me (or hurt me) so I think I will be able to do this without issue. I have regular pain in my left bicep, but it has actually started to go away with more weight lifting. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to do the kettlebells but now I’m hopeful it will be fine.
- Keep my spending down. I spent the same amount in January and February and I’d like to do the same this month. I’m doing really great here, just trying not to spend money on things I don’t need and sticking to my budget. It feels good!
- Actually do something on the damn curtains Sigh.
Do you have any goals for March?
Posted by Lauren on March 2, 2012
Well I didn’t do so hot on the goals for February. Here’s where I’m at.
- Lose 5 more pounds. If I did it last month (with all of the extras/sweets I ate) I should be able to this month!
Keep working on the afghan I’m knitting.
- Finish curtains for M’s room. All I have to do is sew the back, make the sandwich, and add a border.
Spend as little money as possible I actually did pretty well last month, I’d like to do it again.
- Walk outside every day.
Keep exercising at least 5 days a week.
Keep up with the unprocessed and no booze challenge.
Work up to doing strength training 3 times a week.
- Finish my current spinning project.
Epic fails on the curtains and spinning. I didn’t not work on the curtains once! I did do spinning here and there, and managed to finish the bobbin I was working on, but that’s about it. The good news is that I finished last night feeling very motivated to start on the next one. We’ll see.
I tried my best to lose 5 pounds, but that didn’t happen either. I kind of slacked toward the end of January and started eating way too many sweets and ice cream. Since I cut that out, I’ve been doing a lot better. It isn’t a total loss though, I did lose 2.4 pounds, and get this – I lost over 6 inches!!! I am measuring once a month, and this wasn’t even in a whole month. More like 24 days. In no way can I consider that a fail!
I walk a lot, but not outside every day. This month has been too damn cold I should suck it up and just bundle up and do it, but some days I was really wiped out too. I figured if I was really too tired then I just needed rest instead. I still want to keep this up as a monthly goal.
I worked out as much as I could!! I think I only missed a few days this month, so I definitely made this goal
I did work up to lifting weights 3 times a week. I thought it would be too hard, but it felt like I wasn’t doing enough with just two days. So three it is. I think the next goal will be to add kettlebells in once a week.
I knitted, quite a bit. I am still working exclusively on the cabled afghan I started last year around this time. I am determined to get the damn thing done!
So there is my update, not fabulous but I didn’t completely fail either. I will get my March goals together and posted.
Did you have any goals for February? How did you do?!
Posted by Lauren on March 1, 2012
Thought I should check in and see how I did with the goals I set for January. Here they are, what I accomplished in bold:
- Lose 5 pounds. I am pretty sure I can do this.
- Work back up to exercising 5 days a week. Not every day has to be intense, so I think it is plenty achievable.
- Work on cutting down my internet time. It has become such a habit and I know I waste way too much time looking at blogs and Facebook! I want to be down to 1 1/2 hours total per day by the end of the month.
- Of course stick with the unprocessed challenge and no booze challenge
- Go for a walk every day. If I just make myself do it I know I will enjoy it, I always do!
- Finish my current spinning project. I plan to fill 3 bobbins with 3 different fibers and then ply them all. I stopped doing it and I really want it done, so I just need to get on it.
- Knit 5 more squares for my leftovers blanket. There is one in progress and that one doesn’t count as it is more than half done!
- Knit one small gift. I would have liked to have given some this past Christmas but I just never plan ahead.
- Do 5 days of school every week, starting this week. We took a couple of weeks off for the holiday season, but it is time to get back to it!! It is so easy to slack off, but we need to do it.
Well, not that good I guess! At least I did accomplish some of them. I totally got sidetracked on the knitting. I didn’t knit the squares, but I did knit almost a whole sweater! I also completed a couple of afghan squares, just not for the blanket.
I did NO spinning I didn’t really even try to cut down on the internet time. I did get my outside walking days up a lot from nothing though! Some days were just really crappy and cold, and I made too many excuses.
I wish I had been doing more updates for unprocessed challenges. I am still going strong! I had one sip of peach mead, just to taste, while The Boyfriend was racking it into another carboy. Yesterday was a really shitty day, and I sure would have liked to drink One month down and 11 to go!
I will add a February goals post soon, and hopefully give an update on our final budget for January.
Posted by Lauren on February 1, 2012
M took the photo for this one, she did pretty good! She also did the photos for my Margo
hat. Not bad for a rookie, not that I’m any better – ha!
This one is from my handspun, a 50/50 merino/tencel blend from Blue Moon Fiber Arts. The idea came from Spin-Off magazine. The scarf was knit from energized singles, switching from stockinette and reverse stockinette to make the zig zag pattern. It mellowed out quite a bit with blocking, not zig and zagging quite so much. Still love it! And it is very drapey and warm.
- Pattern – Random Obscurity scarf from the Spring 2006 issue
- Fiber used – 50/50 merino/tencel from Blue Moon Fiber Arts, 8 ounces
- Time to spin and knit – 4 months
Apparently I did not keep very good notes. I wish I had the time it took to spin, and I didn’t keep track of needle size either? Oh well. It’s really a miracle that I got the thing done and posted on the blog
Posted by Lauren on January 12, 2012