I think we bought a little more than expected this week. There were 4 trips to the store, plus I bought a Bountiful Basket this week. I can’t remember the last time I got a basket! Unfortunately, there were a lot of duplicates from what I had bought at the store. We went back to Sprouts and got a case of oranges for $8, plus apples were on sale for 49 cents a pound so I got a bunch of those. And of course the basket had oranges, apples, and celery (I now have 3 bunches of celery in the fridge ). I was happy with the basket overall though. We also got mini peppers, grape tomatoes, brussels sprouts, avocados (though mine don’t look too good), strawberries, oro blanco grapefruits, and bananas. I think that’s it?! I’m going to order another next week and maybe even volunteer too.
Okay, here’s what else we bought:
- Co-op produce and grass-fed beef $32.54 – I haven’t been getting an emailed itemized receipt for some reason and I don’t remember individual prices. I did get parsnips, beets, cucumbers, zucchini, mozzarella, cheese curds, and 3 pounds of ground beef.
- Apples $4.22
- Celery $1.76
- Pre-cut and bagged rainbow chard $1.99
- Salad mix $3.69
- Mushrooms $1.69
- Oranges $8.00
- Butter $14.68 – overboard yes. They had Kerrygold butter at Costco and I wanted to try it, plus we got our regular organic butter there.
- Cottage cheese $5.00
- Sour cream $2.69
- 2 Organic chickens $22.86
- Cashews $6.99
- Coffee $11.69
- Organic mayo $3.49
- Pistachios $4.99
- Whole wheat rolls and pitas $4.68 – yes this is somewhat of a cheat on the real food rules, but I didn’t have time to make my own and I’m not being anal
- Crackers $5.86
So we ended up spending $157.60. Yikes! That is $32.60 over the budget for the week. We did spend less last week but I wanted to keep it lower still this week. There was a lot of stuff we definitely didn’t need on here too, like the nuts and crackers and probably even the meat. We also bought the meat CSA for $180 too. Ah well, I’ll try and do better this week for sure. We shouldn’t need much stuff, if anything. It feels like the fridge is bursting with produce and leftovers, and the fruit basket is full ( the pantry too). I am going to do my best to just not go shopping unless we REALLY need something!!
I guess there is a bright side though. I know we would definitely be spending even more if I wasn’t tracking this stuff!